Sunday, September 21, 2008

Community

Christy and Janelle just outside the front door of her house.

The community in Vientienne, Laos is amazing! I spent this long weekend visiting my good friend Janelle. She has been living and working in Laos for about 5 years but has only been back in Vientienne for 1. I spent the long weekend just doing what she normally does, tagging along for the ride but loving it.

Teacher Janelle and her class...pretty small group of kids and quite well behaved I'd have to say!

I spent a day at school with her - she teaches Grade 6 at an International school but the majority of her students are Lao. It was fun to see her as "teacher" as I haven't seen this side of her much!

She spent time mentoring and teaching 2 young adult Lao girls - they were SO darling and had some really great questions for us. Have to do some research for them...and we gave them some homework too! Some of their ideas of what the Bible says were very interesting!! :)

Saturday was youth group...remembering back to the days of youth group when I lived in Thailand...one family opening their home and several different people helping to lead. This was much the same.....again what great community.

Then youth band practice - what a great band they are! Amazing lead vocalist, great sound....and all high schoolers! I loved it....i'm not one to offer much musical advice but i enjoyed listening and watching!

A few of those that make up Janelle's community... Sarah, RuthAnn, Jenny and Kelli. Fun girls!
And the best of all was just hanging out with friends! I've met a few of her friends there previously. There is something about being overseas that allows you to connect and form friendships so much quicker than at home. These girls are all working in Lao and it was a joy to spend time with them. So much fun and laughter!

And last but definitely not least is the amazing Angel God sent my way this weekend. Oui and I met on the bus from an airport on the Thai border of Laos to the border. She is Thai, spoke great English and was on her way to Vientienne too. Her friend picked us up on the other side of the border and drove us into town and then today....she took us back to the border. We then shared taxi's from the border to the airport in Udon Thani and from the airport in BKK, home. Her house was only about 5 minutes away from the Guesthouse I am staying! Jen has left but this weekend....I had an angel to help me make my way! Thanks God!


My angel - Oui

Photos to come soon, I hope! Finally they are here...

1 comment:

Heather said...

That's really cool - reminds me of the way God helped us get our boxes of books sent over to BKK for free!