Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Kathmandu Highlights

I'm going back in time to our 5 days in Kathmandu....I wrote about my accident but didn't get time for all the wonderful experiences we had as well! Here are a few highlights: (I've also added some photos to the posts below.

- Visiting my friend Ram - seeing his office and hearing about all the work they are doing across Nepal. He works with 200 churches across the country and has 38 CHE projects started from those churches. His organization is also involved with HIV & Aids education, literacy education and disability work. We were on our way to visit 2 of the kid's clubs in the city where a CHE project is beginning when I had my accident so we didn't get to see much, sadly. Here is Ram in his office & the office building. The top is his organization Rescue Nepal and the lower levels are a Bible College. :)



- Dinner with Ram's family - It's always a priviledge to get to eat a home cooked meal with friends. This was even more special as it was my first chance to meet Ram's wife - Sanju and his two children. It was special for sure and I hope one day to have more time with them. Sanju's sister, brother and others were also around for the meal. They were all so sad that Jen and I were not going to be staying longer so they could take us to Pohkara to see the Himalayas. Here is a timer photo of us all before dinner.



Me, Sanju (Ram's wife), Nanu (Ram's daughter), Ram, Shashawat (Ram's son), brother-in law and soon to be brother in law. Back Row: Ram's niece and Sanju's sister - Manju.

- Touring around the Old city - It's always so different when you get out of America and really feel the history in new places. We toured through some of the old city and it was just so interesting to see people just hanging out on these super old buildings! And to see the contrast of the old builidings and history with motorcycles zooming on through. To see the many types of people living in Kathmandu.....such diversity! Nepal is 83% Hindu so much of what you see is taken from this religion. However, we also saw alot of influence from Tibetan Buddhism with flags around the city and near the temples. This type of Buddhism is quite different than what I have learned about here in Thailand. We were lucky as well to have a fabulous tour guide! Ram is an expert in his countries history and traditions so we learned much about all that we saw and experienced. Here are a few photos of the old city.


Well, it's time to go for today....hope this gives you a tiny taste of our time in Nepal! More to come....I'm off to Laos this evening to visit my friend Janelle for 3 days.

No comments: